Emerson Dining Hall
Emerson Dining Hall is Wheaton’s retail dining hall, offering a bakery with fresh pastries, tossed-to-order salads and a variety of hearty soups and specialty sandwiches. With its nine-foot-tall oak wainscoting and four large fireplaces, Emerson is often compared to the Great Hall at the fictional Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. The building once appeared in Good Housekeeping magazine as one of the country’s most beautiful dining halls. Emerson’s enclosed front porch features a row of tall windows and is a popular place for students to eat, study and socialize. The dining hall was renovated in early 2016 but has retained its classic look, with updated furnishings, lighting and sound system, a new food service line and a new dance floor. The building features a separate faculty dining section and smaller private dining rooms for students, faculty, staff and guests. The Office of Dining Services is also located here. Emerson Dining Hall was built in 1908 and was named for former college treasurer and trustee the Rev. Alfred Emerson.