The Presidents’ House, a large white Federal-style house with green shutters located across the street from the main campus, is the private residence of the Wheaton president and family. Currently, it is the home of the college’s eighth president, President Dennis M. Hanno, and his wife Susan. They often host visitors and events at their home and in the spacious backyard garden. The house was built in 1829 as a wedding gift for college founder Eliza Baylies Chapin Wheaton. It became the college president’s residence in 1905.